Privacy Notice PARK NOW
Your privacy is important to us at PARK NOW. We will only use your personal information to administer your account, provide the products and services you have requested from us, and to keep you informed about our products and services. The protection, confidentiality and integrity of your personal data are our prime concerns. This privacy notice explains what personal information we collect from you when you interact with our products and services, and how we use this information.
We offer systems that enable you to pay parking fees for on street and off-street parking and other relating services. The services can be consumed via multiple platforms and tools, including mobile apps, website and phone (Interactive voice response (“IVR”) and SMS) and license plate recognition. In addition, we also provide parking permit related services. This Privacy Notice applies to these services and the relating platforms.
What personal data do we collect?
We need certain personal information to be able to offer you the best parking experience and to keep you informed of our products and services. You provide some of this data directly, for instance when you create an account or enter your parking details in connection with your use of our services. Additionally, we receive some of your personal data indirectly through your devices, by recording how you interact with our services (e.g. through cookies). This allows us to personalize and improve our products.
When you create a PARK NOW account, start a parking session, or otherwise use our services, we process the following details, if you provide such to us:
- First and Last Name;
- Title (Mr, Mrs);
- Email address;
- Telephone number;
- Payment and billing information, e.g. bank account, payment card;
- Vehicle license plate/registration number;
- Vehicle brand/type and colour (if applicable);
- Social media account information, if you use a social media plugin to register;
- Location details;
- IP address;
- Phone ID;
- Parking permit details (if applicable);
- Company name (if applicable);
- Business registration number (if applicable).
Parking without registering as a user
In some regions, you can make use of our “instant use” service. For this service you do not actively create a user account with us. However, we do collect some of your personal data in order to process your parking transactions. For this we collect your vehicle registration number, your mobile phone number, parking location and information on your parking start and end time.
We also receive information from third parties we work with. While the partners we work with may change, these mainly include:
- Public and private operators of parking spaces and car parks, such as municipalities, railway stations, airports, hospitals and universities, who, if you have chosen to make use of our service, provide us with the details of your parking sessions so we can facilitate your parking transactions. This information consists of your vehicle registration number in so far as necessary for the parking location, the parking location, the parking fee and the start and end time of your parking session.
- Parking control bodies, such as municipalities, private car park operators, and their enforcement partners, for parking enforcement purposes in accordance with the applicable parking policy.
- Automotive companies (car manufacturers) that provide some of our services in combination with a car. This service registers the start and end time of your parking session, your parking location and the parking fee, so your parking session is automatically ended once you drive away. This only applies if you have signed up for this service.
- Operators of parking equipment (for instance parking meters) and license plate recognition systems (for instance as used in car garages), so your parking session can be identified and registered. Please note that such automated license plate recognition (ANPR) services are not switched on by default; these need to be switched on through our app or via our website.
- Our partners who allow the option of Auto Pay, so you can automatically pay after a parking session on the basis of ANPR, radio-frequency identification (RFID) tag, Bluetooth, UHF tag or vehicle beacon. We only receive these details if you have registered for this payment option either through our app or via our website or at the specific location concerned, as appropriate.
- Our clients from the public and private sector, who use our service to facilitate parking of their employees. If you are an employee in such an arrangement, we receive your name, or personnel ID, e-mail address, phone number and vehicle registration number from your employer, after which you can link your account to your employer.
- Fleet management companies (for business accounts only) which, after you or your employer have provided consent, provide us with car status information. This information can be used to provide services, like the automatic stop functionality.
Cookies and other similar technologies
Device and location
If you have enabled this in your phone and app settings, we receive data about your location. We use this information to verify and facilitate your parking transactions by for example helping you to identify your parking location and to warn you in case you forgot to stop your parking session. You can always change your preferences in your settings.
How do we use your personal data?
We only use your data for the purposes for which it was collected and, where relevant, to meet local legal obligations. We use your personal data for the following purposes:
Customer support and interaction. We use your information to provide information on, and to support you in your use of our products and services. This includes the use of personal information to diagnose product problems, rectify erroneous transactions and provide other customer support related services.
Customer engagement and service communication. We use your information to communicate with you via email, SMS text or other electronic media for instance on service-related matters, both if you use our services for private purposes and if our services have been deployed to you through your employer, such as information on the availability of our services, invoices, price changes, developments regarding ParkNow, etc. Other instances where we engage with you include confirming the opening of an account, parking reminder messages, resolving complaints, and asking you to take part in one of our surveys.
Marketing. We would like to send you information which may be of interest to you about our products and services, and those of other companies (in so far as you have consented to receiving updates regarding our affiliate’s and partner’s services) that may be of interest to you. We communicate with you via email, SMS text or other electronic media. You have the right at any time to stop us from contacting you for marketing related purposes. Depending on your preferences, you can unsubscribe, change your settings on-line or contact our Customer Support team to do so.
Safety, security and dispute settlement. We use your details to protect the security, integrity and safety of our products, services and customers. This includes processing in the context of detecting and preventing fraud, theft and other misuse of our services. We may also use personal information in the context of dispute settlements, to enforce our agreement with you, to enforce our rights towards third parties or defend ourselves against any third party claims or allegations.
Improving and personalising our products and services. We use your personal information to improve our products and services. Clicking behaviour and search results on our website can for instance help us to prioritize or identify new product features.
Maintenance, development and incident management. If you experience issues with one of our products or services, we may need to process some of your personal information, such as your name, vehicle registration number and client ID, in order to resolve the respective issue. We may also use your personal information in relation to certain system development processes, for instance if we move customer data to a new database.
General business process execution, internal management and management reporting. To be able to run our business, we also use your personal information for general business processes. This includes processing your information for archiving, insurance and other administration related purposes, management reporting or processing in relation to audits.
Whom do we share your personal data with?
We share your personal data with third parties such as municipalities, car park operators, suppliers (e.g. hosting, customer care and e-marketing facilities), B2B clients (employers), and other partners. Who we share your information with, depends on your location and the services you use. We share your information:
- To the extent necessary to operate our business, to provide you our services or our partner services, to complete any related transactions and collect related payments, to provide customer care and to communicate with you in connection with our services. For instance, to process payments and transactions.
- For parking enforcement purposes, whereby we communicate your parking status with the relevant parking control bodies, such as municipalities, car park operators and their enforcement agents. In such instances your vehicle registration number, location code, and the start and end time of your parking transaction are shared;
- For services relating to the issuing of parking permits (if applicable). For that purpose we may also undertake address validation checks with third party agencies to confirm that you are eligible for a product;
- Where you gave us explicit consent to do so;
- If we are legitimately requested or obliged to do so pursuant to law enforcement, e.g. for investigation of illegal activities;
- To enforce our agreement with you, for instance in cases where you have not paid for your parking transactions, we may share your information with a debt collector;
- To enforce our rights towards third parties, or to defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations;
- To protect the security, integrity or safety of our services;
- With (potential) buyers and sellers, or other affiliated entities, in relation to an acquisition or merger.
We offer our services as part of the PARK NOW Group and the EasyPark Group. To be able to provide you with our services, we make use of some intra-company facilities, e.g. for database purposes, administration, marketing and fraud prevention. As such, we also share certain personal data with our affiliates. Such intra-company sharing of data will only occur for purposes of operating our business, on the basis of our legitimate interest to operate and administer our business and as has otherwise been outlined in this Privacy Notice.
For example, we will transfer personal data to EasyPark in order to ensure that you can migrate from ParkNow to EasyPark in a smooth and efficient manner. Such processing includes user segmentation on the basis of parking patterns and feature selection, so that relevant migration information can be provided and groups of similar users can be migrated in different phases. This processing is necessary for our legitimate interest to provide a seamless migration experience. You have the right to object to processing based on legitimate interest, including profiling.
Where is your personal data processed?
For hosting and maintenance purposes, your personal data is kept in the European Union. Your personal data is mainly processed by our staff in Germany and the Netherlands. We may also share data with our affiliates in the context of operating our business, providing our services and other processing purposes as outlined in this Privacy Notice. Our affiliated offices are located in the Netherlands, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland and Sweden.
To the extent any other personal data will be transferred to a country outside the European Union or an international organisation, we will make sure that this only happens to such countries and international organisations that ensure an adequate level of protection, have put appropriate safeguards in place to protect your data and your rights in accordance with the EU privacy law (GDPR), or as is otherwise allowed under the GDPR.
If you wish to receive more information regarding the safeguards we have implemented, please contact our Customer Support team.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We will retain your personal information only for as long as is necessary for the purposes for which the information was collected, or as long as is required pursuant to law. For instance, in order to meet statutory administrative retention obligations, we need to keep some of your account related information (e.g. copies of invoices) for ten years.
Private users – pay per use accounts: if you do not use your account for more than 18 months, we will mark it in our database as “inactive”. We will then no longer actively use your account information to send you promotional updates on our products and services (to the extent you have not already opted out for such updates), but will keep your account archived for – if applicable – service message purposes and to be able to easily re-activate your account should you wish to use our services again in the future. Your account will be kept in archive (if not re-activated) for the same period as the applicable statutory retention period.
In case you wish to close your account, please contact our Customer Support team. Upon closure, we will remove your personal information, including your parking history data, without undue delay except for information that we are obliged to keep pursuant to law. For instance, in order to meet statutory administrative retention obligations, we need to keep some of your account related information (e.g. copies of invoices/receipts), for ten years.
Business users: your registered parking actions will be removed or anonymized 12 months after the respective parking action, except for information that we are obliged to keep pursuant to law.
Data may be retained longer in cases where it is used in relation to a legal claim or is used in relation to a valid legal process.
How can I access and manage my personal data?
You can directly view and edit your personal details via your personal account through https://account.park-now.com/login. There you can also make choices about our collection and use of your data. For instance, you can always choose in your account settings whether or not you wish to receive promotional emails, SMS messages, telephone calls or e-mail from us. How you can access or control your personal data will depend on which products and services you use.
If you cannot access, rectify, or erase certain personal data yourselves, if you want a copy of the personal data that we process of you, if you wish to request a restriction of processing of your personal data or to object to processing, please contact our Customer Care department using our webform: https://ch.park-now.com/kontakt/. We will respond to such requests within 30 days.
What lawful basis do you rely on to process my personal data?
We only collect and process your personal data when there is a lawful basis to do so. The lawful basis we rely on in this respect includes:
- Contract: the processing is necessary to perform your service contract;
- Legitimate interest: i) a legitimate commercial interest to process certain of your personal data, e.g. for running our business, customer interaction and customer support, and the purposes of certain forms of direct marketing and profiling; ii) to archive certain account information to facilitate you to re-use your account in the future; or iii) if there is an (other) legitimate interest from business or security perspective, e.g. to prevent fraud or abuse of our services, or for purpose of network and information security of our IT systems;
- Legal obligation: the processing necessary to comply with a legal obligation, e.g. the legal requirement to keep administrative records for a certain period of time, or the legal obligation to share certain data on a police order for criminal investigation purposes;
- Public interest task: the processing necessary to assist in tasks in the public interest. For instance, to aid enforcement agents in verifying the validity of a parking action or parking permit;
- Consent: where you gave us explicit consent to process the data concerned, for example – if applicable – to share your data with partners or other third parties for commercial purposes.
If you have given your consent to the processing, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, by completing a web form: https://ch.park-now.com/en/personal-data-request/. We will discontinue the processing of your information upon receipt of your withdrawal. However, any processing performed prior to your withdrawal remains a legitimate processing based on a valid consent at the time. We will not be under the obligation to reverse the processing.
Data subjects have a right to object against processing based on legitimate interest. You have the right to object at any time on grounds arising from your situation to the processing of personal data concerning you based on GDPR Article 6(1)(e) and Article 6(1)(f). If you object, we will no longer process your personal data unless we can prove compelling legitimate reasons for the processing that outweigh your interests, rights and freedoms, or the processing serves to assert, exercise or defend legal claims.
If you believe that the processing of your personal data violates legal requirements, you have the right of appeal to a data protection supervisory authority responsible for us.
Questions, concerns and complaints
If you have questions or concerns about the way in which we use your personal data, please contact Customer Support through https://ch.park-now.com/en/personal-data-request/ for assistance. You may also contact our Data Protection Officer (DPO) via email@example.com.
If you feel that an issue has not properly been resolved, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority: For Switzerland this is The Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner (FDPIC).
Who is responsible?
PARK NOW is a brand of ParkNow Suisse SA having its address at Rue Nicolas-Glasson 7, c/o Etude Baeriswyl-Hank-Morand Offner, 1630, Bulle, and registered with the Commercial Register under no. CH-217.3.558.118-9. PARK NOW Suisse SA is a member of the PARK NOW Group B.V., headquartered in Diemen, at (1112XR) Wisselwerking 40, the Netherlands and registered with the Commercial Register under no. 34124818. PARK NOW Group B.V. in its turn is part of the EasyPark Strategy AB headquartered in Stockholm, at (11541) Hangövägen 20, Sweden and registered with the Commercial Register under no. 556626-7893. The decisions concerning the purposes and means of the personal data processing are taken by ParkNow Suisse SA, which therefore acts as data controller. Some personal data is processed by PARK NOW Software B.V., PARK NOW Group B.V. and Easypark AB.
In certain specific cases we also process data on behalf of third parties, such as municipalities, e.g. for purpose of parking enforcement and permits.